Thursday, June 11, 2009

Cub Scout daycamp: CSI style

The first week of June was a busy one. Not only was Britton's 18 month well-check and my ultrasound scheduled, but it was VBS at our church and also Cub Scout daycamp. Even though I was working VBS, Ryan and I gave Brandon the option of going to VBS or daycamp. When we first told him he could choose I think he thought he was dreaming. He asked me if really could go, I told him that he could and he got so excited because he knew what was involved at daycamp! He immediately started talking about shooting rifles and bow and arrows and slingshots and eating campfire food. He was thrilled! I was a cool mom for a quick second there!
Ryan joined Brandon for the week and they had a fun but exhausting time! The theme for the week was CSI: Cub Scout Investigation. The boys were divided in groups of 9 and each group was named something that related to CSI: Investigators, Forensics, Captains, Rookies, Detectives, etc. Brandon was in the Captains group and Ryan was the leader of the group. Brandon knew no one in his group beforehand, it consisted of boys from Clinton and Elk City. There was a game station, science station, first aid, wilderness survival, crafts, cooking, archery, rifles and slingshot that the boys visited daily. The archery, slingshot and rifle stations were Brandon's favorite but cooking was close behind. Brandon had so much to tell me at the end of each day.
Friday was family day and instead of starting in the morning as it had all week, they didn't start until 2 so I was able to join them. I just followed them around, taking pictures and helped wrangle in boys whose parents weren't there and needed supervision. It was a very tiring day. That evening they had a cookout and then had a ceremony around a campfire where each group performed a short skit and their chant for the week.

No comments: