With our ski trip at the end of February I knew I needed to go back to the doc for the dreaded eye cauterization procedure if I wanted any chance of being able to see. My eyes had gotten to the point of complete miserableness. (I told my corneal specialist that word and knew just what I meant.) My eyes were BAD. I couldn't not wear sunglasses even on dreary days, it was still too bright outside. I was going through my eye drops like I drink sweet tea (that's a lot). My eyes were so red and itchy that people thought I had pink eye. Bad.
So the week before we left for skiing I went in for the doctor to cauterize my tear ducts. The doc burned closed the draining ducts so that the very little moisture my eyes produce and the artificial drops I use won't drain from my eyes. I had this done last April and it was a nightmare. Not only did it hurt but 3 weeks later the draining ducts were open and I could tell instantly. In August I went back to see him and he said the only hope was to have the procedure again and perhaps he "hadn't burned them good enough."
This time around was worse, the numbing med didn't exactly take full effect before he started and he certainly burned them better. BUT it was worth it! Skiing and just everyday life has been great as far as my eyes are concerned.
We had to take the two little ones with us and while we were waiting, at one point Gracelyn asked if I was going to get a new toothbrush because the eye doc chair resembled the dentist chair. Britton was sad when he saw the needle with Novacaine and asked if I was getting a shot. Ryan treated us to shakes on the way home!
Because the doc burned my tear ducts better this time around, the healing process took much longer. I went to a Thunder game the evening of my first procedure and you pretty much couldn't tell. That would not have happened this time around. I just have the best kids around. They did everything they could to keep my spirits up and just were excellent, especially since Ryan had to go out of town.
Because the doc burned my tear ducts better this time around, the healing process took much longer. I went to a Thunder game the evening of my first procedure and you pretty much couldn't tell. That would not have happened this time around. I just have the best kids around. They did everything they could to keep my spirits up and just were excellent, especially since Ryan had to go out of town.
![]() |
| a puppet show! |
![]() |
| they made me many meals |
![]() |
| and he was supposed to look at the camera. |






1 comment:
That does not sound like fun. But hopefully this time is the charm and you won't have to do it again.
Post a Comment