Sunday, January 3, 2010

Britton's in love...

...with Gracie! When I was pregnant, between all the boys, we worried most about how Britton would react to the baby "stealing his thunder" and status as "the" baby in the family. We knew Brandon was the "helper" and he is certainly a great one and since Blaine has always been so passive, we thought he would do well and love on her. But we were wrong on two counts...Britton and Blaine. Blaine doesn't dislike her, he isn't mean or ugly to her, he just chooses to ignore her most of the time. I don't press him to kiss on her or love on her because I know he will come around eventually And not only does Britton NOT ignore her, he dotes on her constantly, even pausing in playing with Blaine to come over and kiss her. It is so sweet!
Well since she was born he will often put his hands around her mid-section and attempt to pull her to him, telling me "I hold her." I always deter him to go do something else but Friday night when he did that and I encouraged him to go play, I felt really bad when he had that defeated expression on his little face. So after I finished changing her diaper I told him that he could hold her but he must sit down and sit really still. He scurried over to me with the giddiest little face and plopped right down on the floor next to me. He was absolutely on cloud 9 sitting there with Gracelyn on his lap. I have to tell you the boy NEVER smiles for the camera when we tell him to say cheese or to smile, he will look at us like we are crazy. Britton smiles when HE wants to. Ryan grabbed the camera and told him to say cheese and he did just that. He was so happy and smiled nonstop, even though Gracie wasn't so happy. He comforted her and kissed and loved on her. It totally melted my heart. It was funny though to see Blaine's expression from across the room sort of scowling as he watched Britton hold her. It was as if he was thinking he had lost him to her. After I took Gracie from Britton her went right back to playing with his buddy Blaine.

I really wanted to get a picture with both kids looking at the camera and Gracie without her pacifier to see how closely they resemble each other but the ones where he is looking at the camera she is not happy and sucking on her pacifier and then when she is looking without it he is looking at her!

He certainly hasn't stopped asking to hold her now though, it's only increased! I love to see the love my kiddos show each other, with the boys toward each other, it's few and far between but it sure touches me.

3 comments:

SarahJarnagin said...

These pictures are PRECIOUS! How sweet is Britton? I can definitely see the resemblance between them! Cayson is always asking to hold Taryn... he loves to hold her!

Dara Steward said...

So sweet! I hope Evan will love Eli like that!

Jenny said...

It was the same way here when our Gracie was born. I was sure Anna would be jealous and would hate the new baby, but she adored her and still does. Britton is so cute with his little sis.