Sunday, August 15, 2010

Last Blast 2010

"Last Blast" is my little way of wrapping up summer and celebrating a new school year with my kids! I started this tradition last year and plan on continuing it as long as the kiddos are in school or interested. The basic idea is to go to Oklahoma City and hang out. Last years "Last Blast" was several days long, mainly because Ryan was working insane hours, in order to get the CoachesAid site up before school started. This years was just a weekend, and a fun-filled weekend it most definitely was!!
The kids and I left Friday morning and drove to Mimi and Pappy's house. The 3 younger kiddos ate lunch, took naps and played while B1 and I went to a movie, Toy Story 3 in 3D. (side note: Brandon loved the movie but it was sad to watch with B1, as he is my oldest and already going into 3rd grade. Andy leaving for college just hit close to home because it will be no time before Brandon does. Which is another reason of mine for starting this tradition, the kids are young for such a short amount of time. I so badly want to cherish these moments.)
Moving on, After the movie, we went to Sonic for slushes and then went back to Mimi and Pappy's to get dressed for the splashpad. It was so hot, triple digit temps and insane heat indexes so B1 was really the only one who enjoyed it. Gracie wasn't a fan of the water coming out of the ground and Blaine and Britton wore out quickly. B2 and B3 were honestly more interested in the snacks that I brought. I didn't let the little ones impede on Brandon's time though, he got to play to an audience of 4 since it this was really more about him anyway.
Mimi and Pappy treated them to chicken and mashed potatoes and corn that night and I treated them to donuts then next morning! Favorites of everyone's and I discovered that Gracie L.O.V.E.S. mashed potatoes. I'm talking, I couldn't shovel them in her mouth fast enough before she was whining and pulling at my arm. It was awesome!
Saturday morning I took the kids to a carousel, it was a first for Britton and Gracelyn, and they all loved it. We grabbed pizza on the way home, Cici's, which is not a favorite of mine but it wasn't about me.
After coming home, we were so excited to see Ryan, and then turned around, threw clothes in a bag for a surprise trip to Arlington to cheer on the Red Sox. The hotel alone would have been enough for Blaine and Britton, it was the 3 little ones first time to stay in one. They had a blast and even on the way home, Blaine asked to go back. It was an exciting, HOT trip to Dallas. The temp at game time Sunday was 109 and the heat index was 114. We bought A LOT of water and succeeded in keeping everyone hydrated and the kids were good, despite the 2pm game time interfering with naptime.


Talk about an adventure. This weekend definitely was. Most of it was spur of the moment but that is what makes "Last Blast" so fun! It's difficult to be spontaneous with 4 kids but for at least once a year I try my best. This is the last year that I will only have 1 child in school. That brings a tear to my eye. I don't want to even think about it. I love my kids so much and they are so much fun and bring a smile to my face and a joy to my heart.

1 comment:

SarahJarnagin said...

You are such a wonderful mom! I know your kids will be forever grateful for your hands on love! I cannot believe the heat you endured at the game... obviously, my guys didn't last long in it!