For those who may not be familiar with Rick's story, he was hit from behind while riding his bicycle on March 1, 2009. He had to learn to walk, talk, dress himself, shave, everything that most people take for granted. Today he is back on a bicycle! Talk about a miracle! The night was amazing. It was filled with a lot of tears and I left feeling blessed to be able to share in the celebrating of what God had done in the lives of these three heroes. It was awesome.
Three individuals received a Courage award this year and all three definitely deserved it.
Rick Bacon, a Norman firefighter and an avid cyclist, was struck by a car while riding his bike. He sustained multiple injuries, including one to his brain. For the first time in his life, he says he was the one in need of rescue. “Here at the fire department I’ve made so many medical calls. I never dreamed I’d be one of them.” After re-learning some of life’s most basic skills, Bacon has made an amazing recovery. Through his determination, and with the support of his loving family and friends, Bacon has resumed an independent and active life.
The third Courage award winner was Corey Wilson. He was a wide receiver for the University of Oklahoma and suffered a complete spinal cord injury in a car accident, leaving him paraplegic. Wilson had just finished winter workouts in Norman and was driving when a car clipped him from behind forcing his truck off the road. “I remember flipping the first time and that I couldn't scream,” remembers Wilson. “I just held onto the steering wheel and went with it. I flipped the first time and hit my head, then woke up in the grass.” His life would never be the same. While in rehabilitation, this hard-working athlete was an inspiration to others. Because of his diligence and perseverance, he was able to achieve his goal of walking onto Owen Field for Senior Day in front of thousands of cheering fans.
As a side-note: Corey and Rick were in ICU at OU at the same time.
I felt like I was going to prom. all that was missing was a wrist corsage!
our oldest son was taking the picture


4 comments:
What touching stories!
AWESOME! When I saw your pic on fb, I was curious as to why you were all dolled up! Now I know! And this also means that you took a very big step: you left little G with a baby sitter! I'm sure you were nervous, but you also deserved a night out!
What a great video of your mom & stepdad! He is truly amazing! Glad you got to be part of his special night! You are GORGEOUS!
You all look amazing! Glad you had a great night out too! And so glad your stepdad is doing so well after all he went through.
Post a Comment