Gracelyn Paige Kelley!!!!!!!!!!

After the weekend before last, spending 2 days in the hospital to be monitored, the doctor's office called first thing last Monday morning and told me to bring my bags to my checkup Wednesday because the doc was going to induce labor. Then Tuesday Ryan was diagnosed with the swine flu which really saddened us because we decided that I would go alone the next day and have her and he would have to stay home for the well being of baby and mommy. When I got to the checkup Wednesday I was extremely emotional and sad and when the nurse taking me back asked where Ryan was, I just broke down. The doc came in immediately and checked me and told me that I was still only a 5 (which is what I had been since leaving the hospital Sunday) and she would not induce without Ryan there because obviously it would be something we would regret forever. She told me that since he was on Tamiflu, come back Friday and he would be fine to be there and we would have our baby!
So Thursday night Ryan and I stayed with my dad and stepmom to be closer and got up Friday morning and went to breakfast before heading to the doctor. We went to the doc for her to get the induction started and then headed downstairs to the hospital to have a baby!!! As they got me in a room and settled and drew blood, we waited for the lab results so I could get the epidural. The results came in and my hemoglobin was bottomed out at a 6.....BAD! I was informed that I would be given 2 units of blood immediately after delivery and possibly more the next day depending on my results Saturday morning. The anesthesiologist refused to administer my epidural without me receiving 2 bags of saline. So after I finally received those he put the epidural in and then informed me that because of my extremely low iron he wouldn't give me much anesthesia because it could send me into shock, AND I also had to wear oxygen because of my low iron. I was now a 6 and feeling pain so the nurse turned me on my left side but baby didn't like that and was going into distress. I was returned to my back and they cranked up my pitocin to move things along. Next thing I know I am in pain, more pain then I had been in, which was a lot, and the nurse checked and I was ready!! She told me not to laugh, move, talk, nothing. SO they got set up in record time and after ONE push little Gracelyn (Gracie) Paige was with us!!!!!! She weighed 8lbs, 2ozs and was 19 1/2 inches long and has a head full of black hair!

Saturday my lab wasn't much better so I received another 2 units of blood and Gracelyn's bilirubin count was somewhat high so we were staying another night. Sunday her count was an 8 and they decided we could go home but we were told to make an appointment with the pediatrician no later than Tuesday to get it checked. Tuesday's appointment went very well. She had gained 5ozs in the two days that we have been home, going from 7lbs, 8ozs to 13ozs!!! YAY!! Her bilirubin was up to 12 but the pedi said since my milk is in and she is obviously eating well to sit her in the sun and keep feeding often!
Tomorrow is a week since my princess was born and we are doing well. She is an excellent baby and the boys absolutely L.O.V.E. her! We all do! She even has Ryan wrapped around her little finger already! It is so sweet! I was told by a couple of mothers from church that have 4 children (who also weren't planned by them) that once baby 4 was born they felt like their family was complete, even though before they never thought otherwise. And I have found that to be true. I couldn't picture our family without Gracelyn. She changes the dynamic of our family in a positive way and I feel beyond blessed by God!
sorry for the very very very long post.
After the weekend before last, spending 2 days in the hospital to be monitored, the doctor's office called first thing last Monday morning and told me to bring my bags to my checkup Wednesday because the doc was going to induce labor. Then Tuesday Ryan was diagnosed with the swine flu which really saddened us because we decided that I would go alone the next day and have her and he would have to stay home for the well being of baby and mommy. When I got to the checkup Wednesday I was extremely emotional and sad and when the nurse taking me back asked where Ryan was, I just broke down. The doc came in immediately and checked me and told me that I was still only a 5 (which is what I had been since leaving the hospital Sunday) and she would not induce without Ryan there because obviously it would be something we would regret forever. She told me that since he was on Tamiflu, come back Friday and he would be fine to be there and we would have our baby!
So Thursday night Ryan and I stayed with my dad and stepmom to be closer and got up Friday morning and went to breakfast before heading to the doctor. We went to the doc for her to get the induction started and then headed downstairs to the hospital to have a baby!!! As they got me in a room and settled and drew blood, we waited for the lab results so I could get the epidural. The results came in and my hemoglobin was bottomed out at a 6.....BAD! I was informed that I would be given 2 units of blood immediately after delivery and possibly more the next day depending on my results Saturday morning. The anesthesiologist refused to administer my epidural without me receiving 2 bags of saline. So after I finally received those he put the epidural in and then informed me that because of my extremely low iron he wouldn't give me much anesthesia because it could send me into shock, AND I also had to wear oxygen because of my low iron. I was now a 6 and feeling pain so the nurse turned me on my left side but baby didn't like that and was going into distress. I was returned to my back and they cranked up my pitocin to move things along. Next thing I know I am in pain, more pain then I had been in, which was a lot, and the nurse checked and I was ready!! She told me not to laugh, move, talk, nothing. SO they got set up in record time and after ONE push little Gracelyn (Gracie) Paige was with us!!!!!! She weighed 8lbs, 2ozs and was 19 1/2 inches long and has a head full of black hair!
Saturday my lab wasn't much better so I received another 2 units of blood and Gracelyn's bilirubin count was somewhat high so we were staying another night. Sunday her count was an 8 and they decided we could go home but we were told to make an appointment with the pediatrician no later than Tuesday to get it checked. Tuesday's appointment went very well. She had gained 5ozs in the two days that we have been home, going from 7lbs, 8ozs to 13ozs!!! YAY!! Her bilirubin was up to 12 but the pedi said since my milk is in and she is obviously eating well to sit her in the sun and keep feeding often!
Tomorrow is a week since my princess was born and we are doing well. She is an excellent baby and the boys absolutely L.O.V.E. her! We all do! She even has Ryan wrapped around her little finger already! It is so sweet! I was told by a couple of mothers from church that have 4 children (who also weren't planned by them) that once baby 4 was born they felt like their family was complete, even though before they never thought otherwise. And I have found that to be true. I couldn't picture our family without Gracelyn. She changes the dynamic of our family in a positive way and I feel beyond blessed by God!
sorry for the very very very long post.


3 comments:
I love the update! Congrats! She is so beautiful!
Oh, Kendra! What a sweet post. I love the pictures with her big bow- so adorable!
Gosh your post was stressing me out...until I got to the 1 push part! lol! She's beautiful and I'm so glad your family is now complete!!!
Post a Comment